How can I find out if my house has a combined stormwater / wastewater drainage system?

If your house was constructed pre-1970’s it is likely the internal drains are combined. However, the best way to determine this is to get in contact with the Council and ask to review your property file.  Alternatively, you could talk to your plumber who may be able to determine this based on a site inspection.

Why is the Council doing this work now?

Our combined wastewater-stormwater system is old and doesn’t function well, causing flooding in some streets when it exceeds capacity, and inefficiencies and overflows at our wastewater treatment plant.

We have a moral and statutory responsibility to look after our environment.  Like many councils around the country, our system needs to be upgraded to meet national environmental standards and regulations.

While this is a huge investment, it is about planning for a healthier future for all of us now and for generations to come.

Who will pay for the work on my property?

The Council will pay for any pipeline separation work on private property. Ensuring stormwater and wastewater pipelines on private property are separate is essential for the success of this project.

Who selects the plumber to do the work on my property?

There will be a panel of between three and five local plumbing contractors to undertake this work. The Council will initially inform you of the plumber that has been allocated the work on your property. However, if you would prefer a different plumber on the panel undertook the work, please let our staff know and we will try to accommodate your request.